Triathlete's Advanced Stretching Routine
Bilateral Seated Forwards Bend
1. Sit on the floor, sitting up as straight as possible with your back flattened and your legs extended in front of you in parallel position. Your feet should be relaxed and flexed slightly. 2. Lean forwards, lowering your abdominal over your thighs, forearms resting above your kneecaps as you stretch. 3. Slowly roll up, and repeat if desired.
Standing Quadriceps Stretch
1. Stranding with your feet together. Bend your left leg behind you, and grasp your foot with your left hand. Pull your heel towards your buttocks until you feel a stretch in the front of your thigh. Keep both knees together and aligned. 2. Hold for 15 seconds. Repeat sequence three times on each leg.
1. Kneel with your left knee bent, your toe pointed and extended behind you on the floor. Bend your right leg so that your right foot is flat on the floor, next to your left knee. 2. Position your hands on the floor just beyond shoulder-width apart, slightly in front of your body, with palms downwards. 3. Sit back on your left heel as you lean slightly forwards. 4. Release the stretch, switch legs and repeat.
1. Stand with your legs straight, one foot behind the other. 2. Bring your front leg forwards, and bend your front knee. 3. Keeping both heels on the floor, lean into your front leg until you feel the stretch in your back calf muscle. Hold for 15 seconds. Repeat sequence three times on each leg.
1. Stand with one foot about one stride length back, knee bent. 2. Bring the other foot forwards and bend at the knee. 3. Keeping both heels on the floor lean into the stretch as you bend your back knee. Once you feel the stretch, hold the position for 15 seconds. Repeat stretch three times. Switch legs and repeat sequence three times.
Forward Lunge with Twist
1. Begin in the end position of Forwards Luge with your right leg forwards. 2. Place your hands on the floor on either side of your right foot. 3. Balance your weight on your left hand, and carefully and slowly guide your right arm up towards the ceiling, twisting your torso. 4. Return to the centre, and repeat on the other side.
Resistance Band Tendon Stretch
1. Grasp a resistance band with an end in each hand, and loop it around the bottom of your right foot. Lie on your back with your left leg extended and your spine in a imprinted position so that your lower back touches the floor. Keep your right leg elevated only high enough to maintain tension in the band. 2. Pull the band towards your chest with both hands so you extend and straighten your right leg towards the ceiling to a 90-degree angle. 3. Hold for 15 to 30 seconds, and then switch legs, and repeat on the other side.
Resistance Band Ankle Stretch Tibialis Anterior Stretch)
1. Keeping the band looped around your right foot, transfer both ends of the band to your left hand. 2. Keeping your right leg stable, point your right foot and pull the band to the left, stretching the outside of the ankle. 3. Switch legs, and repeat both stretches on the other side.